Walking therapy is walking outside while conducting a therapy session. Many of the modalities and approaches used in an office setting can be used outside as well. The walking is done in a neighborhood near the office building and we decide jointly how much of the session we spend walking.
Some of the benefits of walking during therapy are:
- An increased sense of agency and efficacy
- Feeling more flow and movement of ideas
- Opening the field of awareness of possibilities
- Connectedness to nature
- Enhanced body mindfulness
- Spaciousness around issues, which dilutes their intensity
- Right and left hemisphere communication from the bilateral movement of walking, which helps with processing and integration
- Side by side conversation creating a sense of facing an issue jointly
- Release of stress
- Improvement of mood, which can change perception of the topic discussed
If interested please ask Erika about the possibility of walking therapy during your sessions.